Congratulations on your decision to make a mind jar! The mind jar is a tool for meditation. With a prepared and shaken mind jar your eyes can watch the glitter settle as you feel and watch your mind settle. It is a wonderful visual “mantra” or “mind tool” that can help you be in the moment, in your breath, and still the mind.
Step 1: Get supplies
- Mason jar, bottle, a plastic water bottle
- Funnel or 3 X 5 card taped into the shape of a funnel
- Glitter glue or glitter + glue
- Chunky glitter
- Fine glitter
- Food coloring (optional but worth it!)
- Ribbon, stickers, foam letters, etc…
- Sharpie (black)
Step 2: Build your mind jar
- Fill your jar ½ full with water
- Add glitter glue, glitter, and food coloring
- Fill your jar to the top with more water
- Secure top (you may want to put glue on side of lid before you secure it)
Step 3: Decorate your mind jar
- Decorate the lid with your name, a ribbon, stickers, etc..
- Use a sharpie to add an actual mantra, or verbal mind tool.
- Breath settles the mind
- I can be still
- I am present and breathing
Step 4: Use your mind jar
- Pick up your securely sealed mind jar
- Shake your mind jar
- Set you mind jar on table or 2 feet in front of you if seated on the floor
- Begin to breathe and settle your mind, watching the glitter settle
- You may want to add your verbal mantra, slowly repeating it to yourself as you breath.
- It is recommended that you use your mind jar 3 to 7 days a week for positive effects (increased peace of mind, self-regulation, and relaxation)
Step 5: Store your mind jar
- Store you mind jar in a safe place, standing upright to avoid leaks
- Keep it in view so you are reminded to use it and of your capacity for stillness
Article written by Catherine Cook-Cottone